Here are some other examples of prayers that can get an unexpected answer.**
- pray to get a raise at work - the next week get moved from the 1st floor to the 3rd floor
- pray for help in losing weight - get food poisoning, then contract swine flu
- pray to not covet neighbor's wife - they get divorced (...pssst. She's not his wife...)***
- pray to find the time to get more exercise - car breaks down five miles from the nearest cell phone tower (Think it can't happen? You've never been in western Oklahoma.)
- pray for more communication with the kids - more arguments ensue**** (Arguing with kids? Hard to believe, but I hear some parents do it.)
*Not going to get into a theological discussion of saved/unsaved, Heaven/Hell. That's for a different post.
**These are fantastical illustrations solely for humorous purposes. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, real or imagined, is purely coincidence.
***Would this happen? Not as an answer to prayer. Please refer to the previous footnote.
****Come on people! Lighten up! This is supposed to be funny!
*****Actually, the problem was you - you're not God. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9 (ESV)
******Just my way of helping you exercise your eyes - up, now down. Up, and... down. You're welcome.